You are viewing a Web site, archived on 03:53:44 Oct 31, 2004. It is now a Federal record managed by the National Archives and Records Administration.
External links, forms, and search boxes may not function within this collection.


Text Only Version

 US Attorney Biography
 Office Info
 Court Locations



About Us Divisions Press Community Employment navcurve

Home > About Us > FAQ

The Office is called the "U.S. Attorney;" does that mean you represent individual "U.S." citizens?

    We do not represent individuals in litigation you may wish to bring against another person, company or government agency.  We represent the United States of America and its agencies.

Can you suggest someone who could represent me?

    Sorry, our office is not permitted to make direct referrals.  We suggest that you contact either the California State Bar Association at 415-982-1600 or the San Francisco Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service at 415-982-1600, either of which can refer you to an attorney in good standing who handles your particular type of litigation.

Is your office under the "Attorney General?"

    Yes, but it is under U.S. Attorney General, John Ashcroft, not under California Attorney General Bill Lockyer.  For state matters, please call the California Attorney General's Office at 415-356-6000.

Does your office pursue "deadbeat parents?"

    Yes, federal law allows us to become involved when the non-custodial parent is in another state. The parent must have failed to pay a past due child support obligation for over a year or one that is greater than $5,000. If you have a problem with unpaid child support, it is best to first contact the Family Support Division of the county District Attorney´s Office where the support order was issued.

I am having a problem with a local business. Where can I turn for help?

    Though it is not our function to provide legal advice, we suggest that you contact either the Better Business Bureau at 415-243-9999 or the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce 415-392-4520. Both organizations have clearinghouses for such complaints.

I need to contact a federal agency other than the Department of Justice. Can you tell me how?

    If the agency has a local office, you can find its number in the blue pages of the telephone book.  If not or if you need to contact its Washington, D.C. office, you may call the Federal Information Center toll-free at: 800-688-9889.

Where can I get a copy of the ADA (American with Disabilities) regulations?

    The U.S. Department of Justice provides free ADA materials, but you must call the ADA Information Hotline to order these materials.  The phone number is  800-514-0301 (Voice) or  800-514-0383 (TDD).

    A list of ADA materials available from the Department of Justice is listed at this website:  www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/publicat.htm

I need a copy of Federal Tort Claim Form 95.  Can you send me a copy?

    The claim forms can be obtained from the federal agency to which you are going to submit the claim form.

I want to make a complaint about "XYZ Company." I want the government to conduct an investigation.

    Please send a letter and your documentation to:
    Federal Bureau of Investigation
    450 Golden Gate Avenue, 13th Floor
    San Francisco, CA 94102.

Can you refer me to a Federal Public Defender?

    You can reach the Federal Public Defender at 415-436-7700.