• Twitter Widget

Help With Federal Agencies

How Can I Help You?

One of my most important duties is to assist Third District residents who are facing issues with federal agencies.  Staff in my Eden Prairie office are experienced in working with all federal agencies and assist individuals on a variety of issues from answering questions on social security to helping with veterans benefits.  Since being elected, I have made it a priority to help you navigate the government bureaucracies so people can get the help they need.


Can Congressman Paulsen’s office help with my Veteran’s Affairs claim?

If you have a claim pending with the VA, my office can check on the status of your claim. However, please be aware that we are unable to compel the VA to process your application ahead of others who have filed before you. If you have a genuine emergency, my office can relay your situation to the VA.

For general information about veteran’s issues, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website at http://www.va.gov.

Can Congressman Paulsen’s office help me to get my military record or medals?

To request a copy of your military records, you should fill out the form SF-180. This form can be downloaded by clicking here.  If you have completed the SF-180 and have not received a timely response, our office can check on the status of your request. Your DD 214 is needed to obtain   your medals.

Social Security

Where is my local social security office?

The Social Security Administration has field offices throughout Minnesota. In order to locate the office closest to you, visit the “local office search” page on the SSA website. A popular location for our District is in Bloomington at 6161 American BLVD. W Suite 100 55438, 1 (866) 964-7341.

How do I apply for social security disability benefits?

You can apply for social security disability benefits online on the social security website. You can also get assistance with your application over the phone or in person by visiting your local office.

More information about applying for social security disability benefits is available here.

I have been waiting for several months for a Social Security Disability hearing. Can Congressman Paulsen’s office check on the status of my case?

My office can contact the social security Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODAR) and request that your case be marked “congressional interest.” ODAR will then send an update on your case to my office each month. To have your case marked as “congressional interest,” please fill out our Privacy Act Release form and send it to my Minnesota office.

Can Congressman Paulsen’s office expedite my hearing date for my application for social security disability benefits?

The average wait time for a hearing is 18 to 21 months. Unfortunately, our office is unable to reduce the wait time. In certain, limited instances, the Social Security office will expedite case processing. In order for a case to be expedited, you must meet one of the following conditions: lack of food, inability to afford prescriptions or receive adequate medical care, lack of health insurance, imminent eviction, or homelessness.

For general information about social security issues, visit the Social Security Administration’s website at www.ssa.gov.

I submitted a claim for social security disability benefits but I have not received any information. Can Congressman Paulsen’s office check on my claim?

If you have submitted a claim for disability benefits and have not received a response from the Social Security Administration, my office can make an inquiry to check on the status of your claim. Please be aware that the Social Security Administration makes final decisions regarding whether a claim can be approved under their pre-established guidelines.

Identity Theft

I have been a victim of identity theft, what should I do?

The Federal Trade Commission has extensive information on how to avoid identity theft, and what to do if you believe your identity has been stolen. Please visit here for more information. 


If you have a different issues with a federal agency you wish to gain assistance with, please don't hesitate to call my Eden Prairie office at (952) 405-8510.