Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to Congressman Lipinski's online office. We are dedicated to ensuring Third District residents are provided with the assistance necessary to quickly and effectively resolve issues relating to the federal government. Please use this page to learn about some of the ways we can assist you.

To reach Congressman Lipinski's Chicago office, call (312) 886-0481. To reach Congressman Lipinski's Washington office, call (866) 822-5701.

If you are looking for a list of federal agencies, please click here.

If you are looking for a specific piece of legislation, please click here.

If you have a general question concerning the federal government or relating to government services ranging from employment opportunities to airline safety regulations, please consult

Do I live in Congressman Lipinski's district?

If you are unsure of which district you live in, please enter your address and/or nine-digit zip code into the space provided at the Illinois State Board of Elections website.

How can I schedule tours of the White House, Capitol, Pentagon, and other sites while visiting Washington?

Congressman Lipinski's office is able to assist you with information and tours during your visit to Washington. You can learn more about available tours by viewing our Visiting Washington page or accessing Congressman Lipinski's tour request form.

Which federal services can Congressman Lipinski's office assist me with?

Caseworkers in Congressman Lipinski's office handle constituent questions and problems concerning Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans, Immigration Services, Passports, the Postal Service, the IRS, and other federal programs. Please contact Congressman Lipinski's Chicago office at (312) 886-0481 for more information.

I am having problems with a federal agency. How can Congressman Lipinski's office assist me?

As a Member of Congress, Congressman Lipinski can serve as an intermediary between constituents and federal agencies. While the Congressman cannot guarantee a specific outcome in any given case, his office can assure that your request or case will receive thorough consideration and a timely response from the appropriate agency.

My home or business has been damaged by a flood, tornado, or other natural disaster. Can I apply for federal assistance? How do I apply for federal assistance?

In the immediate aftermath of a natural disaster, check with your local government to see if they are distributing Damage Assessment Questionnaires. If they are, fill yours out as accurately and quickly as possible, and return it to your municipality. Once these forms have been collected, they will be handed over to the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA), which will use them to conduct a preliminary damage assessment (PDA). If it finds the damage to be sufficient to apply for federal assistance, a funding request will be made to the President and FEMA. To determine if your county has been declared a disaster area, click here. To learn more about the different types of assistance available, please click here.

If the President does make a disaster declaration, you must contact FEMA to apply for federal assistance. You can view FEMA's disaster declaration page. FEMA will also establish mobile assistance sites throughout the effected area. After your assistance request has been made, you can click here to check on its status. You will need to enter your FEMA application number, which should have been assigned when you registered your claim.

Click here to learn more about how the disaster declaration process works.

Click here to view a graphic of how the disaster declaration process works.

I am looking for information concerning Medicare and Medicaid. Where can I find it?

Click here to access's Medicare and Medicaid page. This site provides links and resources for Medicare and Medicaid and is an excellent source of information on goverment programs for seniors. You may also call Congressman Lipinski's Chicago office at (312) 886-0481. 

How can I apply for a job with the federal government?

Government agencies provide job listings on their individual websites, but many of these listings are posted at as well.

What kinds of federal grants are available to me?

Congressman Lipinski is happy to provide links to government organizations with federal grants available to constituents, which can be accessed here. This page also provides links to resources that help explain the grant application process.

I am a student interested in obtaining federal scholarships and/or aid for college. Where can I find more information?

Click here for Congressman Lipinski's Students' Corner page. This page provides high school and college students with links to federal aid, scholarships, and information about the U.S. government. Educators can also access Congressman Lipinski's Teachers' Corner page to access teaching resources including fellowships and lesson plans. 

How can I order a flag from Congressman Lipinski's office?

Click here to learn how to order a flag from Congressman Lipinski's office. Requests can be made for flags to be flown over the Capitol Building at a specific date or time. If you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, Congressman Lipinski's office is happy to provide your first flag free of charge.

How can I apply for a congressional internship in Congressman Lipinski's office?

Click here for more information about applying for a congressional internship in Congressman Lipinski's office. Internships are available throughout the year.

How can I apply for a Service Academy nomination through Congressman Lipinski's office?

Click here to learn about the process of applying for a Service Academy nomination through Congressman Lipinski's office.

Which committees does Congressman Lipinski serve on?

In the 112th Congress, Congressman Lipinski serves on two committees and a number of subcommittees. He is the ranking member of the Science, Space, and Technology Committee's Subcommittee on Research and Science Education. Congressman Lipinski is the most-senior Chicago-area member on the important Transportation & Infrastructure Committee. Click here for a full list of Congressman Lipinski's committee assignments.

If you have additional questions, or would like to leave a comment, please contact Congressman Lipinski's Chicago office at (312) 886-0481 or Washington office toll free at (866) 822-5701.