I am glad to have the opportunity to nominate Mississippi’s young people to our nation’s service academies: the U.S. Military Academy (West Point); U.S. Air Force Academy; U.S. Naval Academy; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. I do not nominate to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, though I am happy to assist in the process.
The purpose of the nomination process is to present our nation’s military academies with the best group of qualified candidates from every area of the country. My nomination functions as a recommendation to the academies and my responsibility is to nominate the most qualified young people in Mississippi. This application process is for a congressional nomination, and it is separate from the application you must complete for the academies.
I look forward to receiving your application materials. Please review the following information carefully and be sure to submit all of the required information.
Please use this checklist when compiling the following required application materials:
1) Letter – Please send a letter from the applicant requesting a nomination that include the following:
a. Specific academy applying for
b. Date of birth
c. Social Security number
d. Legal name
e. Permanent and temporary (if applicable) mailing
2) Resume – Please attach a resume, listing honors, awards, activities, achievements, employment or any additional information which will provide insight as to your qualification for nomination
3) Transcript – Request from guidance counselor or principal the most up-to-date official copy of applicant’s transcript including classes and grades to date
4) Recommendation Letters – Letters should be from one person who is familiar with the applicant’s values; one person familiar with the applicant academically; and one letter from a person familiar with the applicant athletically
5) Submit – Please submit all application materials (#1-4) via mail or fax to:
U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker
Attn: Military Academy Nominations
245 E. Capitol St., Ste. 226
Jackson, MS 39201
- Applications are due by December 15th. Senator Wicker nominates by December 15th of each year, and the academies determine who receives appointments by April 1 of the following year.
- Congressional nominations do not guarantee acceptance to the service academies – they only assure that your application will be considered first by the review boards.
- Most students who receive appointment offers are active at school and in their community, and many hold leadership roles in sports and other extracurricular activities.