Wounded Warrior Program: Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the definition of a "Wounded Warrior" as it relates to the House's Wounded Warrior Program?

A. Any disabled veteran who has served on active duty since September 11, 2001, has fewer than 20 years of military service, and has received either a Memorandum Rating of 30 percent or greater from their service Physical Evaluation Board or a VA service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or greater is eligible to apply for positions with this program. Candidates for employment must have been honorably discharged and possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.

Q. How do I apply to the House's Wounded Warrior Program?

A. Eligible applicants may send the scanned required documentation, which includes a current resume, last DD214 and proof of a minimum 30% disability rating for a service connected condition, to housewoundedwarriors@mail.house.gov.  Please be sure to indicate the position for which you are applying.

Q. What if I do not know my rating?

A. All military personnel discharged through the Disability Evaluation System for service-incurred injuries or illnesses receive a determination of findings. If you have not received that finding or have misplaced your letter, contact your appropriate service headquarters. You may also obtain a letter from your VA Regional Benefits Office that confirms your disability rating.

Q. How much will I be paid as a Wounded Warrior Fellow?

A. Salaries will vary from job to job, depending on the duties and recommendations from the office or Congressional Member that hires the Wounded Warrior.

Q. Will all fellowship positions lead to full time work?

A. Fellowship positions are not a guarantee of continued employment beyond the two year assignment. However, the opportunity for full time employment may arise.

Q. Are all Wounded Warrior Fellowships located in Washington, D. C.?

A. Although some fellowships may be located in Washington, D. C., most are located in the district offices of Members of Congress.

Q. Is there reimbursement for relocation expenses?

A. Reimbursement will NOT be paid for a position that requires relocation.