Casework FAQs


Do I have to submit my request for assistance in writing?
By law, I am required to have a written request before any action can be taken on your behalf. A written request also gives me a clear understanding of the difficulty that you are having interacting with the federal agency involved and the resolution you are seeking.
Can you give me legal advice?
My office is not able to offer legal advice or recommend an attorney. The rules of the House of Representitives do not allow me to intervene in, or influence the outcome of, cases that are under the jurisdiction of any court.
My fiancee’s application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has gone beyond the normal length of processing time. Can you expedite her application?
As much as I would like to assist in this matter, I am limited in what I can do because USCIS petitions are adjudicated in date receipt order. The criteria needed for consideration of expedite processing can be found at All expedite requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and are granted at the discretion of the Director of USCIS.
How will you resolve the problem I am experiencing with a federal agency?
Although I cannot guarantee a particular outcome, I want you to know that my staff and I will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response. My staff and I are able to facilitate the processes involved, gain a fair hearing for your case, and sometimes advocate for a favorable outcome.
Why is a signed Privacy Act Release form necessary?
Due to the provisions of the Privacy Act of 1974, all federal government agencies and departments are strictly prohibited from releasing information about anyone without that individual’s written permission. This protection of a person’s right to privacy means that I can do nothing to help until I have written authorization from the individual directly affected. Once we have the release, we can begin to work on your case.
How will I know that my problem has been resolved?
When an official response is received from the federal agency involved, my office will notify you. Please feel free to contact my office for an update on the progress of your request for assistance.
My brother lives in Texas and is having a problem receiving Social Security benefits. Can you help him?
It is a long standing tradition of congressional courtesy in the United States House of Representitives that each Representative be given the opportunity to serve his or her own constituents. Accordingly, your brother’s request for assistance should be referred to his local Representative, however any one of my offices would be more than happy to help your brother find his local Representative.