In America, no family should be forced to choose between paying their heating bill & putting food on the table. That’s why I urged President Obama to restore LIHEAP low energy assistance funding to support thousands of Maryland families. Last year LIHEAP helped 149K Maryland households stressed & stretched by high energy costs to keep warm during cold winter months.
- The Navy's plan to move aircraft squadron VAQ-209 from Maryland would mean lost jobs and lost defense in our Nation’s Capital Region. I’ve introduced an amendment to #NDAA with Senators Cardin and Kirk to prevent the Navy's plan without Congressional oversight & approval.
- Super Storm Sandy’s wrath had a measurable impact on residents of Maryland. Over the course of several days, the storm brought unprecedented levels of precipitation and winds, delivering severe flooding and damage in many parts of Maryland, with widespread power outages and downed trees. Nearly a month after Sandy, it’s important that these residents know that they have a federal government on their side.
- We need a sense of urgency about solving the fiscal cliff. We need to end the culture of delay in this institution. We need to show that we can govern ourselves and we can put ourselves on a sound fiscal path with the right combination of g...rowth, frugality and ensuring a safety net to the most vulnerable of our citizens.
So I’m here to say to my colleagues from both sides of the aisle, both sides of the Dome and even the White House, let’s get the job done.
- I’ll continue to lead the fight in cyber battle so Maryland is the epicenter of cybersecurity in America. We are Ft. Cyber! The battlefield is real & cyber battleships are being built right here in Maryland, keeping our country safer & our state's economy stronger.
- As we prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving, I want the families and communities still struggling to recover from Super-Storm Sandy to know that they have a government on their side. Super-storm Sandy has been a super burden on Marylanders acro...ss our state. Public assistance and hazard mitigation is good news for communities from the Eastern Shore to Western Maryland. It will provide much needed support as we work to recover and rebuild lives and businesses.
While we’re grateful for this disaster declaration, I will continue to support Governor O’Malley’s request for Individual Assistance for Lower Shore communities impacted by this storm.
- Today, the Senate women joined me in welcoming newly elected women with my traditional bipartisan Power Workshop. I was the first Democratic woman elected to the Senate in her own right and the 16th woman to serve in the Senate in all of American history. When we gather all of the women together in January for the 113th Congress, we’ll have 20 women serving at one time.
I'm so proud of all the women who’ve made history. Now it’s time to change history.
- Today I led Team Maryland’s support of Governor O’Malley’s request for a federal disaster declaration for Maryland following Super-Storm Sandy. This declaration would mean federal help for families, businesses & communities struggling to recover from this devastating storm.
- ActivityDecemberPeople Who Like This38