Help with Federal Agencies

One of the most important jobs I have is helping my constituents when they are having problems with federal agencies. Here are a few quick questions to help you determine whether I can assist you with your case.

Do you reside in the 14th Congressional District of the State of Ohio?

Congressional courtesy dictates that each Member of Congress has the honor of serving his or her own constituents. If you aren't sure which district you live in, please visit All you need is your Zip Code + 4. You can determine your full Zip Code at if you are unsure of the last four digits.

Does your case involve a Federal agency?

As a Federal Representative, I am able to make inquiries on your behalf with Federal agencies. I can help with issues such as delayed Social Security payments, immigration questions, or veterans' affairs issues. If your case involves a state or local agency, please contact your state or local government representative for assistance.

Does the case you are concerned about involve you?

Due to privacy laws, my office must have the written consent of a constituent in order to make an official inquiry on his or her behalf.

Does your situation involve a law that you would like to see changed?

If you are advocating for a change in a law, please contact my office and leave your comments, or you can email me with your comments through my website. It is not necessary for you to fill out a Privacy Release form in order to request a change in a law.

Is your situation a legal dispute?

As a member of the Legislative Branch, I am unable to become involved in court cases or legal issues due to Separation of Powers as outlined in the Constitution. This restriction applies to both civil and criminal matters. My office is also prohibited from giving legal advice or recommending an attorney. If you need to find a lawyer, you should contact your local bar association for a referral.

Is your case within the agency's normal processing time?

It is rare that a case can be "sped up" for any reason other than extreme hardship. If you believe your situation merits more rapid processing, please contact my district office. My staff will discuss your situation and help you determine the proper strategy. Once you have asked yourself these questions and determined that your case is something I can assist you with, please feel free to contact my office via telephone, fax, U.S. postal service, email or in person. If I can assist you, you must complete a privacy release so that my office is able to initiate an agency inquiry on your behalf.

What assistance can you expect from my office?

My office is here to assist constituents with problems involving a federal agency. While my office can make inquiries on your behalf, we cannot guarantee a positive outcome in all situations. It is important to note that my office does not have any decision-making authority, and the respective agencies have complete discretion concerning decisions on individual cases. However, my office can make inquiries as to the status of your case, obtain additional information, or direct you toward appropriate resources or services. My role is to assure you have a fair and thorough review of your case. My staff and I will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response regarding your problem.

If you are still unsure whether I can assist you with your case, please contact my district office. My staff will discuss your situation with you and work with you to determine the best course of action.

Instructions for opening a case.

In accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974, we need written authorization from you to contact any federal agency on your behalf or to receive any private information or records.

Therefore, please submit an IRS Authorization for Release of Information form for matters pertaining to the Internal Revenue Service or a Privacy Act Release form for all other inquiries, and copies of any pertinent documentation to my Painesville Office.

Do not include original documents as they may not be returned.

Finally, make sure to include a letter describing your difficulties, and explain the assistance you are seeking from my office as a result of the congressional inquiry.

(440) 352-3939
(440) 352-3622 (fax)

For additional information, you may be able to find the answer to your questions at the appropriate agency website. Below is a list of many federal agencies. If you are trying to contact a federal agency and the website is not below, contact my office and my staff will be happy to assist you.

Federal Agencies

Department of Education

Federal Communications Commission (FCC)

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Department of Labor (DOL)


Department of Veterans Affairs

Social Security


State Department

Passport Services


Steve's Blog

A Timeline of how the Benghazi attack unfolded


The Wall Street JournaL has published a timeline of the events in BenghazI.

Read More

Early voting hours set in Ohio


After the U.S. Supreme Court rejected the Ohio Secretary of State's appeal of early voting hours, voting hours were set in all 88 Ohio counties.

Read More

Connect with Steve Youtube C-Span