Share |

Frequently Asked Questions

Preparing to open a case  Federal Agency Links 
Determining what is casework Opening a case  

** If you cannot find the answers you need in this section, please feel free to contact my district staff by phone at (302) 428-1902 or (302) 736-1666 for southern Delaware residents.

How do I get a passport?
In order to get a passport, you will need to fill out a DSP-11 application form, available at your local passport acceptance facility at your local post office. Please be advised there is a charge of $85 for a first time adult application, $55 for adult renewal, and $70 if the applicant is under the age of 16.

Please bring the following with you to the passport acceptance facility:
- Old passport or proof of U.S. citizenship (i.e. birth certificate)
- 2 new passport photos
- Current Identification (i.e. driver's license, State ID)
- Filled-out forms DSP-11 or DSP-82 (depending on your circumstances)
- Check or money order for the passport fee (See fees above)
- **Tickets if traveling in less than one week- please see further instructions below.

Passports usually take 3-4 weeks to process, but may be completed within as little as 2 weeks for an additional expedite fee of $60. Passports may also be renewed within two weeks at by appointment at the Philadelphia Passport Office. (Please note that you must have already purchased tickets and have proof of your travel itinerary in order to qualify.) The fee for this service is the new or renewal passport fee in addition to a $60 expedite fee. To make an appointment please call the Philadelphia Passport Office at (215) 418-5937.

For more information on Passports visit: or call my office at (302) 428-1902 and someone will assist you.
The following is a list of Post Office facilities in Delaware, which accept passport applications:

New Castle County
Talleyville Branch Office of Wilmington, 3204 Concord Pike
Greenville Branch of Wilmington, 3801 Kennett Pike
Rodney Square Station, 1101 King Street, Wilmington
Processing & Distribution Center, 147 Quigley Blvd., Wilmington
Main Post Office, 401 Ogletown Road, Newark
Federal Station Post Office, 110 East Main Street, Newark

Kent County

Dover Post Office, 55 The Plaza

Sussex County
Georgetown Post Office, 15 South King Street
Milford Post Office, 110 Causey Avenue
Rehoboth Beach Post Office, 50 Rehoboth Avenue
Seaford Post Office, 203 High Street
My passport was lost/stolen. How do I report it? How can I get a new passport?
If your passport was lost or stolen you should report it immediately and apply for a new one. To report your lost or stolen passport contact:

US Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036

Or call 24 hours/day at: (202) 955-0430
Voice mail - For non-business hours, Eastern Time

In order to get a new passport you will need to get DSP-64 and DSP-11 forms. These forms are now available at your local post office or online. For more information visit:
Do I need to obtain a visa to travel to another country?
If you are a U.S. citizen traveling abroad, depending on the country to which you are traveling, you may need to apply for a visa through the embassy or consulate of that foreign country. In most cases you may apply directly to the foreign embassies or consulates located in the United States. (Please note that certain countries also require medical exams or vaccinations, before a visa will be issued.) For more information on obtaining a visa, visit or you are welcome to contact my office at (302) 428-1902.
I need urgent help with an emergency overseas. What should I do?
If the emergency occurs during the workweek and involves a Delaware constituent please feel free to contact my office in Wilmington at (302) 428-1902. It is also a good idea to call the Bureau of Consular Affairs' Overseas Citizen Services (OCS) 24-hour travelers' hotline: (202) 647-5225. For emergencies during OCS working hours (from 8:15 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. EST, Monday-Friday and 9:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday), call (202) 647-5225. For emergencies after OCS working hours, call (202) 647-4000 (ask for the OCS duty officer).
I'm traveling abroad and I want to know if the destination I'm going to is safe?
The Department of State periodically issues travel warnings when the State Department decides, based on all relevant information, to recommend that Americans avoid travel to a certain country. For a list of countries that currently have travel warnings, visit

Before venturing overseas it may also be a good idea to obtain information on vaccinations and other health precautions from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's hotline for international travelers at 1-877-FYI-TRIP (1-877-394-8747) or via their Internet site at:
Why are people denied non-immigrant (visitor) visas?
People are often denied non-immigrant or what is commonly referred to as visitor visas for a variety of reasons. Normally, it is because the person or family applying cannot prove that they have significant ties to their home country. These ties must be strong enough to warrant their return to their home country at the end of their visit in the U.S. Often family members who have relatives who live in the United States will face a particularly difficult time when applying for non-immigrant visas.

For example a parent visiting a child who is a Permanent Resident in the United States, might have to show bank records, employment, ownership of a home/apartment, etc, or other family members who can be claimed as dependents in order to prove a strong connection to their home country. If you have any questions regarding this information, or if my staff can be of any assistance in helping a family member determine their eligibility for non-immigrant status, please contact my office at (302) 428-1902.
How do I obtain a copy of a birth/marriage/death certificate?
Please contact the Delaware Division of Public Health, Office of Vital Statistics for information on obtaining birth, death, and marriage or divorce certificates. You can obtain information about visiting their offices online at

You can also request these records in writing to:

PO BOX 637
DOVER DE 19903
Where can I find information about my Medicare benefits?
For assistance in learning more about your Medicare Benefits, you can contact Medicare Customer Service at (800) 444-4606. This information hotline is available for newly enrolled applicants, those constituents who have been enrolled in for a long time, those constituents who wish to inquire about their benefits and those of you who may need help understanding your Medicare benefits. For more information, or help with specific casework, you may also contact my office at (302) 428-1902 for further assistance.
Can I can apply for Social Security retirement benefits online?
Yes. You may now apply for Social Security Retirement benefits online by going to:
How do I replace a lost Social Security card?
You may request an application for a replacement card by calling 1-800-772-1213.

Where can I find IRS tax forms?
Beside your local IRS office, forms and information may be obtained at most libraries and post offices. Also, you may order them by calling 1-800-TAX FORM.. Forms may be downloaded by going to: IRS Forms and Publications .
Can I file my tax return online?
Yes. The Internal Revenue Service offers several alternatives to filing a conventional paper tax return. For more information on filing your income taxes, visit:
How can I check on my tax refund?
The IRS has a toll free number you can call to check the status of your refund at: 1-800-829-4477.

** If you cannot find the answers you need in this section, please feel free to contact my district staff at (302) 428-1902 or (302) 736-1666 for Kent County and Sussex County residents.

You may also send you request for information by mail or fax to:

The Honorable Michael N. Castle
201 North Walnut Street
Suite 107
Wilmington, DE 19801-3970
Fax #: (302) 428-1950