Utah Veterans

Information & Links

We can never thank our veterans enough for their service to our nation and Congressman Matheson believes in keeping our promises to veterans when it comes to health care and other benefits. Utahns have always proudly served this nation when asked to contribute to the nation's defense, and veterans issues are very important to me.  These resources may answer some of your basic questions but please feel free to contact the Salt Lake office if you need assistance with a specific issue.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What can I do to determine the status of my VA claim?  Can I expedite the process?
Congressman Matheson’s office will be glad to inquire about the status of your claim.  By law, the VA is required to process claims in the order in which they were received.  You will need to complete the online privacy waiver and include your claim number before our office can assist you.

Q: What if I am having difficulty understanding a VA determination or have follow-up questions regarding VA correspondence?
Have your Service number ready and contact a Veterans Service Representative (VSR) at 1-800-827-1000.  You can also forward questions via the VA website. If you still have questions or concerns about your specific claim, please call Congressman Matheson’s Salt Lake office for assistance.

Q: I’m having trouble obtaining my service record, can Congressman Matheson help?
Military service records are kept at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri and some of these records were destroyed in a 1973 fire.  Please call Congressman Matheson’s office if you think your records were destroyed.

Q: What if I have concerns about the medical treatment or prescription drugs I am receiving?
Congressman Matheson’s staff can inquire about the lack of treatment and forward your concerns to the appropriate VA officials, but we cannot overturn a recommendation from a VA physician.

Q: Can you assist me in trying to enroll a family member at a VA nursing home?
Although the enrollment cannot be expedited by a Member of Congress, Congressman Matheson’s office will gladly inquire as to the status of your request or provide your family contact information for local VA nursing home resources.

Q: How can I receive a copy of my DD 214?
Records may be obtained by the veteran or the next of kin of a deceased veteran.  A copy of your DD 214 is obtained by contacting the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) at (314) 801-0800.  Office hours are Mon. - Fri., 7:00 A.M. - 5 P.M. CST. 

Q: Where are local VA and VBA offices and how can I contact them?
The Salt Lake Regional VBA office can be reached at 1-800-827-1000, and the mailing address is  555 Foothill Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah 84158.   Please contact this office with any concerns about benefits and compensation questions and concerns.

The VA Salt Lake City Health Care System can be reached at 1-800-613-4012 or 1-801-582-1565. The mailing address is 500 Foothill Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148.  Please contact this facility if you need information about medical care.

Q: Are there other organizations or offices that can assist me with my Veterans’ issues, questions, and concerns?
Yes, there are several national organizations that have local chapters throughout Utah.
American Legion, 801-326-2380
Disabled American Veterans, 801-326-2375
Veterans of Foreign Wars, 801-326-2386
Utah State Veterans Affairs, 801-326-2372