State Department


The U.S.  State Department is the lead foreign affairs agency in our federal government, working to represent America abroad.  In addition, the State Department:

  • Issues visas to visitors and immigrants
  • Provides passports to Americans traveling abroad
  • Declares travel warnings and posts notices on foreign events
  • Operates US embassies in foreign countries

Congressman Matheson’s Salt Lake office is here to help you with service offered by the State Department, including passports and visas, travel information, and aid with U.S. embassies and consulates.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I apply for a passport?
You should complete a DS-11 application form, which is available online and at other locations such as post offices and state courts.

Q: How long does it take to get a passport and how much does it cost?
Passports usually take six weeks to process.  The passport fee is $85 for a first-time applicant (over 16 years of age), $70 if applicant is under 16 years of age, and $55 for renewal.

Q: How can I expedite the processing of my passport?
To receive your passport within two weeks, go to the U.S. Department of State.

Q: What do I do in an emergency when I need to obtain a passport within 24 hours?
You must call the National Passport Center at 1-877-487-2778, and explain your emergency. You will need your original birth certificate or naturalization certificate, a photo ID with your signature, two passport-size photos, a check or money order for the passport fee, and a $30 expediting fee.

Q: My passport has expired.  How should I apply for a new one?
If you already have a passport, you may renew it by submitting formDS-82.  Further instructions are available at the U.S. Department of State web site.

Q: How do I report a stolen or lost passport?
To report a stolen or lost passport, call the U.S. Department of State's Passport Services Office at 202-955-0430, or go to the U.S. Department of State web site.

Q: How can I find out if it is safe to travel to a certain country?
The U.S. Department of State periodically issues travel warnings when the Department decides to recommend that Americans avoid travel to a certain country. Click here for a list of countries which travelers are advised to avoid.