To apply, please provide the following:
- A letter of introduction that describes why you are interested in an internship with the Office of the Historian.
- The dates of your availability, including your proposed work schedule.
- Resume (that includes at least two references).
- Brief writing sample (roughly 2 pages).
For periods of one to three months, the Office of the Historian welcomes undergraduate and graduate students of history and political science to work with the Historians and other professional staff in a temporary unpaid capacity. Working with the student's academic advisors, course credit is sometimes available. The internship opportunity gives the student excellent "on-the-job" training and experiences in a non-partisan office and it provides a service to the Office in pursuit of its mission to serve the House, its Members, Committees, and staffs, the media, and the general public.
Based on a mutually agreeable work schedule, the intern will assist in the day-to-day office operations, historical research, and other projects as assigned.
Deadlines for Applications
- Fall Semester Internships - July 15
- Spring Semester Internships - November 15
- Summer Internships - April 1
Applications may be sent via email to:
Office of the Historian
B-56 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515