You are viewing a Web site, archived on 06:02:30 Dec 18, 2008. It is now a Federal record managed by the National Archives and Records Administration.
External links, forms, and search boxes may not function within this collection.
Home|Biography|Constituent Services|Issues & Legislation|Multimedia Center|Press Room|The 5th District|Contact
Sign up for our newsletterThe 5th DistrictFederal Agency Help Legislation Section

If you are experiencing a problem with a federal agency, please write to Congressman John Lewis outlining the problem and request that I look into the matter for you. Casework is not processed through my Washington office.  All casework is addressed in my district office in Atlanta.  When submitting information to the office, please include,  where applicable, claim numbers, your Social Security Number, VA claim number and/or taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for Internal Revenue Service problem, and all pertinent information that will help us expedite your request.

When requesting intervention or assistance from my office, it is sometimes necessary to provide a privacy release for us to retrieve your information.  Please print out the privacy release form, fill it out, and mail to my Atlanta office.  The Privacy Act of 1974 requires that Members of Congress and their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. Thus, you should include a clear request.

Please also be sure to include your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that my staff can obtain additional information from you if necessary. Copies of any documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved may also be helpful.

While we cannot ask the agency to do anything it would not normally do under its regulations, we can assist you in working with the agency to ensure that your rights are respected and that procedural errors are corrected.

Unfortunately, I can't help you if your problem is not with a federal agency.

Because of the Constitutional separation of powers between the three branches of government, judicial matters (matters which involve the courts) do not fall under my jurisdiction. Examples of judicial matters are: child custody; divorce; criminal trials or imprisonment.

Problems which involve Georgia State agencies are also not under my jurisdiction. Examples of such problems include: child support; motor vehicle registration or loss of license; welfare; state taxes.

For these problems, you should contact the Governor's Office for assistance at (404) 656 – 1776

Please keep in mind as you are making a request:

Do you live in the 5th Congressional District?

As a matter of Congressional courtesy, each Member of Congress only serves his or her own constituents and will refer those residing outside their Congressional District to the appropriate representative.

Privacy & Security Policy
   Copyright 2007 5th Congressional District of Georgia