Quick Links

Search Tools

Search Bill Number

Search Word/phrase
Home arrow Helping You
Helping You - Congressman Offers Services

Every day my office works with constituents to resolve problems encountered with federal agencies.  My staff has helped many constituents with their questions and their concerns - from very simple to enormously complex - to find the best course of action to a resolution. My staff and I will do everything we possibly can for the people of the Central Coast.

Getting Started

The Privacy Act of 1974 requires that Members of Congress and their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. That's why we need hear from you detailing your problem. To fulfill the requirements of the The Privacy Act of 1974, please fill out the
Privacy Consent Form and fax or send it to my office. Please be sure to include your address, your phone number, and the pertinent information (i.e. claim numbers, etc.) Copies of any documents or correspondence from the agency involved is also helpful in determining the best course of action.

Here's a list of how we can help; If you can't find the information you are looking for, please
contact me.

Citizenship and Immigration Services: Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) - formerly the INS - is the federal agency that handles immigration matters including green cards, citizenship, and foreign adoptions. My office will do all we can to help you navigate through this very tough agency.

Education: The Department of Education administers a number of federal loan programs for higher education. If you're having difficulty contacting the Department of Education to resolve problems relating to your loans, let us know.

Export Promotion:  Exporting is an excellent way to grow your business and diversify your portfolio, especially when you consider that 95% of the world's consumers live outside the U.S!

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): FEMA is the very first federal agency to respond when national disasters occur. The agency also works to prevent disasters and prepare for them. Let me know if you need help with FEMA or disaster preparedness and planning.

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requests: The Freedom of Information Act of 1966 and the Privacy Act of 1974 created procedures for any member of the public to obtain records from agencies of the federal government, including any about themselves.

Housing and Urban Development Department (HUD): The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)'s mission is to increase homeownership, support community development and increase access to affordable housing free from discrimination. HUD enforces federal housing laws, including anti-discriminatory practices. They also provide funding for Section 8 vouchers which can be used to pay for or supplement rent. My office can help you with HUD or help you find local agencies or organizations which work to find housing.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS): The IRS can be confusing and overwhelming for the average person to handle. If I can help you reconcile disputes with the IRS, please let me know.

Labor Department: My staff is well equipped to assist with any problems constituents have with the Department of Labor, including worker compensation claims and ERISA/COBRA insurance claims.

Legal Assistance: There are several organizations in our area that provide legal advice pro bono or at very little cost.

Military Records/National Personnel Records Center: I can assist you and your family members locate lost military records and replacement medals awarded for service in our nation's armed forces.

Passports: The State Department issues passports, non-immigrant visas to foreign nationals, provides travel warnings, and provides information and assistance to U.S. citizens traveling abroad.

Postal Service (USPS): Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Dark of Night.... However, if you're experiencing difficulties with your mail service, my office can help.

Small Business Administration (SBA): The SBA can be a great resource for small businesses in California - whether just starting out or in business for years.

Social Security and Medicare: Many constituents contact my office to resolve problems with the Social Security Administration and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid. Don't hesitate to contact my office if you're in need of help.

State Department: The State Department issues passports, non-immigrant visas to foreign nationals, provides travel warnings, and provides information and assistance to U.S. citizens traveling abroad.

Transportation Department: There are many different agencies that are responsible for safe roads and public transportation. We can help you navigate through them.

Veterans Administration: With the many veterans on the Central Coast, my office is continually in contact with the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you need help obtaining monetary, education, or health benefits, please let me know.

Washington Office
1221 Longworth House
Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Fax 202-225-6791
Salinas Office
100 West Alisal Street
Salinas, CA 93901
Fax 831-424-7099
Santa Cruz Office
701 Ocean Street
Room 318
Santa Cruz, CA 95060