Press Office

Home   /   Job Loss / Job Loss
North Carolina Employment Security Commission
ESC is your best and first point of contact for help with unemployment compensation and your search for new employment.

JobLink is a valuable resource for assistance with training and career development.

Trade Adjustment Assistance
Assistance for workers who have lost jobs due to foreign trade.

Health Care Tax Credit (HCTC)
Under certain circumstances, unemployed workers may be eligible for a tax credit for up to 65% of the cost of their health insurance premiums. Eligible persons include the following: 1)Workers who lose their jobs due to the effects of international trade and are eligible for certain Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) benefits; or are eligible for benefits under the Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance (ATAA) program. 2)People who receive benefits from the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) and are at least 55 years old. This link provides additional information about HCTC eligibility and how to apply for the benefit.

Resources for Small Business
If you are interested in self-employment, these resources can help you start off on the right foot.

NC Division of Social Services (DSS)
DSS can often help families with financial hardships faced during the search for new employment.

Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
HUD can offer information and help with regard to home ownership and rental assistance.

Federal Employment Opportunities
This is a valuable resource for Career Opportunities in the Federal sector.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Advice Regarding Tax Issues That Arise Following Job Loss

To address the tax related concerns that come with the loss of a job, the IRS provides the following information to assist displaced workers.

1) Severance pay and unemployment compensation are taxable. Payments for any
accumulated vacation or sick time are also taxable. You should ensure that enough taxes
are withheld from these payments or make estimated payments. See IRS Publication 17,Your Federal Income Tax, for more information.

2) Generally, withdrawals from your pension plan are taxable unless they are transferred to a qualified plan (such as an IRA). If you are under age 59 1⁄2, an additional tax may apply to the taxable portion of your pension. See IRS Publication 575, Pension and Annuity Income, for more information.

3) Certain expenses incurred while looking for a new job may be deductible. Examples of
deductible expenses include employment and outplacement agency fees, resume preparation, and travel expenses for job search and interviews. See IRS Publication 17, Your
Federal Income Tax, for more information.

4) Moving costs you incur because of a change in your job location may be deductible. You must meet certain criteria relating to distance moved and timing of the move. See IRS
Publication 521, Moving Expenses, for more information.

5) Some displaced workers may decide to start their own business. The IRS provides information and classes for new business owners. Please visit or see IRS Publication 334, Tax Guide for Small Businesses, for more information.

Copies of all publications are available at You may also request a copy by
calling 1-800-829-3676.
  District Office: P.O. Box 1830, 87 4th St. NW Suite A, Hickory, NC 28603 Telephone: 828.327.6100 Fax: 828.327.8311
DC Office: 224 Cannon House Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20515 Telephone: 202.225.2576 Fax: 202.225.0316