Washington, D.C. - U.S. Rep. Timothy Johnson (R-IL-15) today announced a series of long-sought grants assisting fire departments throughout the 15th Congressional District.
“This is fantastic news for departments and for fire safety,” Rep. Johnson said. “The importance of the equipment and manpower we are able to add with this funding cannot be overstated. We’ve been working with some of these departments for some time to obtain this funding. Their needs are critical and this news is a step in the right direction.”
The grants come from the Department of Homeland Security’s Assistance to Firefighters Grants program, a competitive funding initiative designed to strengthen the preparedness of the nation’s first responders. Most of the money applies to equipment and in some cases to staffing.
Awardees are as follows:
- Cornbelt Fire Protection District, Mahomet, $519,408.
- Pontiac Fire Department, Pontiac, $207,000.
- Flanagan-Graymont Fire Protection District, $117,869.
- Cornell Fire Protection District, $64,876.
- Eldorado Fire Department, $83,064.
- Westville Area Fire Protection District, $63,650.
- Atwood Fire Protection District, $89,017.
- Pesotum Fire Protection District, $50,873.
- Sidell Fire & Rescue, $65,850.
- Mattoon Fire Department, $50,540.