This web site was copied prior to December 11, 2006. It is now a Federal record managed by the National Archives and Records Administration. External links, forms, and search boxes may not function within this collection. Learn more.   [hide]

Congresswoman Nancy L. Johnson
An Independent Voice for Connecticut's Fifth District

Email Nancy

Email Nancy

Constituent Services
Office Information
District Staff Directory
District Casework
Federal Grants
Flag Requests
Academy Nominations
Visiting Washington, D.C.
Educational Resources
Frequently Asked Questions

Working for You
Nancy's Legislation
Press Release Archive
Photo Album
About Nancy
About the Fifth District

Government Links
Search All Legislation
Federal Government Links
State of Connecticut

Office Information
2409 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515
202.225.4476 phone
202.225.4488 fax

New Britain
1 Grove Street
New Britain, CT 06053
860.223.8412 phone
860.827.9009 fax

100 Grand Street, 2nd Floor
Waterbury, CT 06702
203.573-1418 phone
203.573.9329 fax

Ives Manor
198 Main Street, Unit 1
Danbury, CT 06810
203.790.6856 phone
203.790.6873 fax

22 West Main Street
Meriden, CT 06451
203.630.1903 phone
203.630.1903 fax




House Privacy Policy
Webmaster Feedback

House Privacy Policy
Webmaster Feedback

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I buy a flag flown over the U. S. Capitol?

How do I get tickets to see the White House?

How do I invite Nancy Johnson to an event our group is having?
     You may either fax or mail your invitation to the New Britain or Washington D.C. office. If you are requesting a meeting in the Washington, D.C. office, please note that the mail service is delayed 
due to security screening. Consequently, you are urged to fax your request. Click here for office information.  The invitation should 
include the group name, the date, time and location of the event and any other information that you feel is relevant or noteworthy. 

How do I call the President of the United States?
     The telephone number for the President is (202) 456-1414 or 
contact him by e-mail at

How do I send a Presidential Greeting Card?
    Upon placing a phone call to the New Britain office, you will be 
asked the following.  Name (i.e. Mr., Mrs., Dr., Miss...), Date of the 
Event, Address, Occasion (i.e. Birthday 80 and above, Anniversary 
50 and above, Eagle/Girl Scout award or other.  Any special 
instructions or circumstances.   Click here for office information.

How do I get information on legislation?
     There are several ways to receive information on legislation. You 
can use the Library of Congress website, to download senate or house legislation and see the current status 
of each bill. In addition, a new website,, will give you up-to-the minute information on legislation happening on the floor 
of the House of Representatives.  Detailed analysis of each bill in available through various links. If you want to watch the day's 
events in either the House or Senate, click on the live links on  You can listen to the radio version or watch the television version. Either way, all these websites give you direct 
access to your federal government.

How do I get information on grants?
     Information on grants is available through most all the federal agency's websites. Simply use your search engine to locate the 
agency and search their site.

How do I reach the
The Department of Veterans' Affairs in Connecticut?
     The Department of Veterans' Affairs Veterans Home and Hospital, 
as well as the Office of Advocacy and Assistance, is located at:

 287 West Street, Rocky Hill
Connecticut 06067 

     The Connecticut regional office for the United States Department 
of Veterans Affairs is located at:

450 Main Street
 Hartford, Connecticut 06103

     Connecticut currently has two VA Connecticut Healthcare 
Systems campuses.  The Newington Campus is located at 555 
Willard Ave., Newington, CT 06111. The West Haven Campus is 
located at 950 Campbell Ave., West Haven, CT 06516, Telephone: (203)932-5711.  Office hours and locations for other VA offices throughout the state can be obtained by calling 1(800)827-1000.

How can I apply for health benefits from Veterans' Affairs or 
How can I get the Veterans' Affairs to pay for my prescription 
     A veteran who has been discharged from active military service 
not due to "dishonorable" conditions is eligible for health benefits 
from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans who have served 
after 1980 must have completed two years of active service. 
Veterans serving prior to 1980 may apply for benefits after any 
amount of active service.

     A guide to enrollment for VA health benefits can be found on 
the VA New England Healthcare System website. The web address 

     All veterans looking to receive prescription drugs from the VA 
must be enrolled in the VA healthcare system. Veterans must see a 
VA primary care provider who will determine what prescription 
needs to be filled. The VA will not honor prescriptions written by a private physician.

     Outpatient visits to the VA are $15 for primary care and $50 for
some specialized care. A co-payment for prescription drugs of $7 for 
each 30-day supply will be added if a veteran's combined family 
income is above a certain amount. Prescriptions will be filled at VA Clinics, Hospitals or through the Veterans Affairs mail-order 
pharmacy. All prescriptions are transmitted electronically to the VA computer system, known as VistA. This allows for patients to have orders mailed directly to their homes. Call 1-800-838-6331 ext. 2235 for more information.

How can I obtain information about my immigration problem?

The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) has 
replaced the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The 
BCIS website
provides a variety of resources regarding immigration matters. In addition, BCIS has a local office in Hartford in the 
Federal Building at 450 Main Street. Office hours are: Monday/Tuesday/Thursday 8:00am to 3:00pm and 
Wednesday/Friday 8:00am to 12noon. If you do not have Internet 
access, you can call (800) 375-5283 for general information and 
(800) 870-3676 for INS forms only.

How do I apply for disability benefits through the federal government?
In addition to Social Security retirement, the Social Security Administration provides Disability Benefits and Supplemental 
Security Income. To learn more about these programs or make an application, you can call (800) 772-1213 to speak with an SSA representative. You can also obtain information from the SSA 
web-site at

How do I contact the IRS?
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has a toll free forms line, (800) 829-3676 and for general questions you can call (800) 829-1040. 
For unresolved issues or ongoing problems, the IRS has established 
a Taxpayer Advocate Office at the Federal Building at 135 High 
Street in Hartford. Connecticut has its own Advocate in Hartford 
which can be reached by calling (860) 756-4555. There is also a 
toll free national number for the Taxpayer Advocate which is (877) 777-4778.

What choices do I have for Medicare coverage?
Currently, seniors have a choice between a Medicare Managed Care
plan or the traditional fee for service plan. The choices available 
depend on where you live. For specific information about what is available in Connecticut you can call (800) 994-9422 or 

How do I apply for Medicaid (Title XIX)?
Medicaid is a medical insurance program for low income and the disabled and is administered through the State of Connecticut's Department of Social Services. For information about this program 
and how to apply you can call (800) 842-1508. Information is also available on their web-site at

Are my children eligible for the HUSKY Health Plan through the State of Connecticut?
HUSKY is a consolidated health coverage program for uninsured children and youth in Connecticut. To learn more about this 
program and whether your children are eligible, call 
(877) CT-HUSKY or check the web-site at

How do I register to vote?
Registering to vote is easier than ever. To learn what is available in 
your community you can call the Secretary of State's Office at (860) 509-6200 or click here to access a printable voter registration form.

What resources are available for my small business?
In Connecticut, the Small Business Administration has an office in Hartford and can be reached by calling (860) 240-4650. In addition, 
the Connecticut Small Business Development Center also provides assistance and can be reached by calling (860) 486-4135.

How do I apply to the military academies?
The United States Service Academies accept candidates by granting them an appointment. This appointment is based on admissions 
criteria that requires a nomination from a nominating source which includes your federal Representative and Senators. To begin the 
process a potential cadet must forward a letter of interest to my 
district office at One Grove Street, New Britain, CT 06053. This letter should include the potential cadet's name, address, telephone 
number, Social Security number and a list of the academies he or 
she is interested in by order of preference. Each year I hold an informational open house for potential applicants. For more 
information you can contact my district office at (860) 223-8412.