This web site was copied prior to December 11, 2006. It is now a Federal record managed by the National Archives and Records Administration. External links, forms, and search boxes may not function within this collection. Learn more.   [hide]
109th Congress, 2nd Session
(Header Image - Office of the Clerk)
Skip Navigation
November 13, 2006
Site Map  Help  Search
Home
Office of the Clerk
Member Information
Committee Information
Legislative Activities
Historical Highlights
Congressional History
Special Exhibits
Virtual Tours
Public Disclosure
Educational Resources

Home > Historical Highlights > Virtual Tours > Splendid Hall > The Hall of the House

Printer Friendly

Splendid Hall
The Hall of the House | Growth of a Young Nation | Design of the Hall | Speaker of the House | Notable Ceremonies | John Quincy Adams | Historical Artifacts

The Hall of the House

Painting of the Old House Chamber, circa 1838
Old House Chamber, circa 1838

 


Allyn Cox
Oil on Canvas
1973-1974

The first House chamber in the Capitol was designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe. After the House moved to its present chamber in 1857, this room was designated National Statuary Hall. John Quincy Adams (center, with raised hand) is shown speaking in the chamber; Speaker James K. Polk is seated under the canopy at left.

Photo courtesy of the Architect of the Capitol

 


The Hall of the House of Representatives (1807-1857)

This exhibition features the House of Representatives as it was during the half century it met in this chamber. The Old Hall of the House or Old House Chamber, now known as Statuary Hall, is one of the most historic parts of the U.S. Capitol. The House of Representatives met here from 1807 until 1857, when the present House Chamber was completed. In this Hall, Representatives debated the destiny of an expanding young Nation.

The Members sat at desks of various sizes arranged in tiered semi-circular rows with aisles. The Speaker's Rostrum, with its elaborate canopy, stood below the sculpture Liberty and the Eagle. Visitors flocked to the galleries, which were easily accessible by two outside entrances.

In 1864, the Congress designated this room National Statuary Hall and invited each state to contribute two statues of deceased citizens deserving of lasting commemoration. The 40 statues in this room are part of that collection; the rest are displayed in other areas of the Capitol.

In a painting by Samuel F.B. Morse, the Members of the House of Representatives gathered for an evening session lit by an oil-burning chandelier. Each person is depicted on the basis of an individual portrait study. After Morse tried unsuccessfully to sell this painting to Congress for $1,000, he abandoned art in favor of science. Twenty-two years later, in 1844, Morse demonstrated his invention, the telegraph, at the Capitol.

The painting by Morse guided the re-creation of the chandelier, sconces, and draperies during the partial restoration of the room in 1976.

Continue exhibit

 


Splendid Hall Exhibit
  (Splendid Hall Icon and Link) Splendid Hall
Take a virtual tour of Splendid Hall and discover the architectural treasures and historical artifacts of the Old House Chamber.


 

Kids in the House
  (Kids in the House) Kids in the House
Learn about the Clerk, the Capitol, and Congress.


 

Visiting the Capitol
  (Visiting the Capitol Icon and Link)Visit the Capitol
Tour information and maps of the Capitol complex.


 

   

Congressional History | Virtual Tours | Special Exhibits

Page last modified: November 07, 2003

Home
| Office of the Clerk | Member Information | Committee Information
Legislative Activities | Historical Highlights | Public Disclosure | Educational Resources
Kids in the House | Site Map | Help

Office of the Clerk - U.S. Capitol, Room H154, Washington, DC 20515-6601
General Assistance: , Technical Assistance:


Security and Privacy Notice